Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Christianity And Astronomy?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mark/">Mark on January 5, 1999 15:39:24 UTC

: I'm curious to know how the debate and turmoil through the centuries between Christian religion and the astro-sciences resolve? Is it resolved?

: Tön

Well Hugh Ross 's page is a great place to start the resoloution. My observation is this. If you must hold to an absolute literal translation of the Creation account in Genesis (many liberals seem to be literalists about these passages) then you have direct contradiction between the 24 hour days of the Genesis account and the clear history of the universe being shown to us (by God, I might add, whom "The Heavens proclaim the glory" of). The speed of light shows us a history of events which occured millions,perhaps billions of years. Can our eyes be decieving us?

Although that might be possible, it is not very likely. Many church fathers held to an old earth, and for those of us on that side of the Christian debate, we have no problem with the Genisis account as "A day is as a thousand years to God", etc. This allows for a figurative intepretation of the Genisis account. Very reasonable. What do you think?

• Reasons to Believe, Hugh Ross

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins