Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hello Harv

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on October 14, 2002 23:19:17 UTC

Hi everyone,

Yes, I'm back. I'm short of time right now so I'll explain later. You caught my attention with a couple statements, Harv:

***Ontological knowledge is saying that what we know is true about the world.***

Could you give me three or four examples of ontological facts that you know to be true (in addition to the one that "Thought happens")?

***My only beef is that we should stay consistent with the meaning of God in terms of its historical and current usage of how God is understood.***

After attempting to distill the common denominator of what everyone considered to be the essence of God -- and failing -- I agree with you that we need a new term. But, since you seem to think that "the meaning of God in terms of its historical and current usage" is well defined, I would appreciate some help. It would help me for you to run through this list of attributes which are historically and/or currently given to God, and tell me which ones apply and which ones don't. That way we should all have a clear understanding of what God is. Thanks in advance.

1. Transcendent
2. Perfect
3. Sentient
4. Omnipotent
5. Loving
6. Infinite
7. Concerned with individual humans
8. Vengeful
9. Concerned with individual animals
10. Omniscient
11. Just
12. Made of stone
13. Creative
14. Bearded
15. The Prime mover
16. Omnipresent
17. Indescribable
18. Enthroned in the clouds
19. Limited
20. Immutable

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins