Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on October 11, 2002 20:33:52 UTC

Who was it that said that?

Hi Harv,

It's Friday and I'm about to go home in a few minutes. I think your post above was wonderful, perhaps we can pick up the discussion next week. For the moment, there's something quick I want to say.

I know you're a movie buff, and so am I. That means you have probably seen countless movies about a psychologist trying to get inside a crazy person's mind and becoming crazy in the process. Off the top of my head I remember Don Juan de Marco and K-PAX, I'm sure there are many more.

My point is, hard as that can be to believe, everyone's ideas make as much sense from their own point of view as our ideas make sense from our own point of view. That may sound as a trivial thing to say, yet most people don't realize that. So, in order to tell a person what's wrong with their ideas, you must first be able to understand what's right about them.

I'm often able to do that with people, even ones whose mode of thinking is far removed from my own, such as yourself. But I'm afraid I'll die before I'm able to get inside the mind of a fundamentalist, they are the toughest nuts to crack that I'm aware of. Ever since I was a kid I've been trying to understand them, as we often had Jehova's Witnesses peddling at our door. To this day my knowledge of their mind has not increased at all.

Gotta go. Monday is Canadian Thanksgiving so wish me a good one.

Cheers,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins