Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Thoughts

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Chris Duncan on October 11, 2002 19:34:59 UTC

What Sam doesn't understand is that science isn't out to prove his(or anyone's) beliefs wrong...Science it the pursuit of the truth embedded in those beliefs. When someone takes every word in the bible literally, they say that science is vastly incorrect. Yet, science is incorporated into their everyday lives, from microwaving the leftovers to watching tv...

You mentioned that it is possible that what we believe is irrational(due to our scientific, objective minds, I presume) may one day prove to be rational...Yet I believe that the only way that will be found out is through science.

The science that Sam rejects right now may be the same science that proves him right. He shouldn't reject the reasoning of science all together to get his point across.

My history professor said the same about children and their parents: "A child will shoot himself in the foot if his parents say he won't--just to prove them wrong".

I thought that was funny until I thought of Sam

Just a thought from someone lower down on the intellect chain...

Warm Regards,

Chris

P.S. I didn't call him a troll either, but when the debate between us became a little heated, he called his beliefs "just a theory"...I think that in itself says enough(or it may say that he was coming around, but I doubt the latter is true).

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins