Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Is Only One Article Of Faith

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Ivan on October 9, 2002 23:38:28 UTC

Dear Richard,

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to comment on this important issue. Only the God knows what is in people’s hearts, but I suspect that like most of the people who call themselves Muslims, Jisbond may in fact be either a Sunni or a Shia and thus he probably referred you to a Sunni or Shia site.

Sunni/Shia articles of faith are taken from Hadith NOT from Quran. I used to be a Sunni myself before reverting to Islam and I know plenty of quotes in the Hadith books that promote blind following of the clergy and forbid rational thinking and research. In fact, one of the first Sunni scholars whose name was "Shafii" declared that all knowledge has been completed and that from now on we should blindly follow the clergy. That was back in the 9th century and this is called the “imitation” doctrine.

On the other hand, it is repeatedly said in the Quran that those who strive to gain knowledge and use rational thinking are the successful ones and not the ones who blindly follow their ancestors. The Quran tells us to free our mind and research the God’s creation around us and “in” us:

“The earth is full of signs for those who are certain. And within yourselves; can you see?” (Quran 51:20-21)

Here is the true Muslim’s only article of faith:

“…Anyone who believes in the God and does good work, He will remit his/her sins, and will admit him/her into gardens with flowing streams. They abide therein forever. This is the greatest triumph.” (Quran 64:9)

Thanks and all best wishes.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins