Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I See A Slight Flaw

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 9, 2002 16:02:13 UTC

Ozman,

Good question.

***Cows as we know them have been raised and used by human beings: farmers, butchers,
biologists, cartoonists, and dairy-logo designers - all members of the species Homo sapiens. This may be an obvious fact, but it has important consequence. Cows as we know them are limited and structured by the human brain and human mental capacities. The only cows we know or can know are brain-and-mind-based bovines.***

Do you think talking about bovines is the same as talking about imaginary objects? I can see a bovine. I can touch it. Hear it. Taste it at a good steakhouse, and smell the aroma of a good steak. Sure, maybe it's my imagination that I'm actually seeing, touching, hearing, tasting, and smelling, but you have to make a cut-off somewhere and make certain assumptions which we regard to be true. Those 'assumptions' are best regarded as those things which are necessarily meaningful for our existence (which is why we must accept core assumptions of our physical interaction with the world as being at least somewhat objective statements about the world, eg, there are cows).

I think certain abstract concepts are necessary to believe as 'somewhat objective statements about the world' since some concepts are necessary to impute meaning to our existence, but on the other hand, I think we can do without every mathematical object as actually existing and our world will be no less meaningful.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins