Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Sure

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on October 2, 2002 21:25:37 UTC

Hi Chris,

***Could you please elaborate on how God's actions might be "restrained"? Being omnipotent, the only thing I can think of to restrain His actions would be Him restraing Himself so as to give us free will. Is that what you meant?***

God is omnipotent in that nothing can interfere with his necessitated will. There are perhaps other 'wills' which sometimes conflict and interweave with the necessitated will. One of them, I think, is purely idealistic. I think this idealistic will is in line with the intent of the necessitated will (e.g., Good is better than Evil), but it is not absolutely necessary for the idealistic will to be in effect during the evolution of the universe. That is, God restrains his idealistic will from being fully in effect so that his necessitated will can be accomplished in evolution's end. In the case of free will, I am suggesting that it is God's idealistic will that we choose good to rule our lives completely, but it is not necessarily God's necessitated will that good rules our lives. Rather, it is God's necessitated will that we choose for ourselves. Hence, God restrains his idealistic will so that the necessitated will can be accomplished. In effect, God is 'tolerant' and 'patient'.

***Also, would you consider describing God as Creation? If so, he would have created everything, including those parasites.***

No, I see God as the Creator of the physical universe. God is part of the Creation if you mean 'all that is' since 'all that is' includes everything that exists. But, generally when people refer to Creation they are referring to the physical attributes of 'all there is' - aka, the universe. These material things are all part of God's necessitated will, but not all things are part of his idealistic will. That is, God might not favor the existence of parasites as an ideal creation, but God tolerates (or is permissive) to their existence. This identifies, I think, another will which is permissive. Hence, God's permissive will allows differences to exist between his idealistic will and the way things really are (or is going to be) just as long as his necessitated will is not violated.

***My personal belief is that God created creation(big bang) and is letting nature take its course, kinda like watching the ultimate movie!***

What is left for God to do in your view? It seems that you are close to eliminating a need for him altogether.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins