Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Interesting

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on September 28, 2002 14:43:15 UTC

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately my internet budget is running down.

So is my "internet patience". When discussions start revolving around who wrote what song, or whether one can or cannot label things, that means it's time to move on.

I still enjoy your posts though, the ones I manage to understand anyway.

I had a very similar experience which I called "trapped in a dream". And during this I "woke up" yet in fact it was still a dream.
I actually had quite a battle to get into the "real" reality.

I had some of those dreams myself, it can get quite annoying.

I think this kind of thing may have been quite well documented. (www.lucidity.com or something, maybe)

It's quite amazing how common some experiences are, yet nobody talks about them. Things like communicating with spirits of the dead, extrasensory perception, hauntings, and so on. My grandmother talked about those things as if they were matter of fact, and I used to think she was just an ignorant old woman. But time has shown that the ignorant one was me.

There is a phenomenon called "sleep paralysis"

That's exactly what caused my OBE. I woke up and felt something I never felt before. I mentally sent a command for my legs to move, like we do everyday whenever we want to walk, and my legs just wouldn't move. My first thought was that I was dead.

I think one of the things that can trigger the experience of "leaving your body" is simply the realization that your body is not "you". That's a difficult concept to understand when you try to explain to others, but extremely simple when you experience it.

Not essentially much different from finding it hard to get up in the morning. I guess.

You guessed wrong, I think. Sleep paralysis is completely different, it's not like being lazy or something, it's a weird feeling of being completely disconnected from "physical you" and at the same time realizing "physical you" accounts for very little of "real you".

Crazy stuff...

I think it is possible to document all data one can gather for oneself from such experiences and, not go nuts; but end out some jumps ahead of modern neurology on understanding how humans function.

I have one such project in mind. I'm tired of seeing those experiences dealt with by irrational people who either take them at face value or dismiss them. The truth must be somewhere inbetween, but apparently not a lot of people are interested in looking at it.

Care to join me? You have my e-mail address, write me for details if you want to participate.

I think one can "keep one's feet on the ground" ideally by chosing the most solid ground there is: I call this "existence". For example, by not denying anything one ever felt or thought; by being open to "what is", more of the fuller picture becomes visible.

My recent criticism on your attitude aside, I do think you know a lot of interesting stuff. It's just that you have to find a more effective way to communicate it. I have the same problem, which is why I don't talk about it much.

My approach was to document what I experienced; and to investigate further. New discoveries can follow, the future becomes freer...

Let me tell you something. I'm extremely curious about drugs, I even have a collection of books about them, all sort of stuff from alcohol to LSD. The only thing I don't know about drugs is, well, whatever it is that you feel when you take them.

Now I have no qualms about actually experimenting with drugs. I think all experiences can at least teach you something. The only reason I never took drugs, and probably never will, is that I know people who take drugs change. As far as I can tell, if I have, say, a LSD experience, in all likelihood I will lose interest in understanding the experience itself, and will become concerned, perhaps obsessed, about the meaning of its contents. And the world is already full of people who know the contents of the LSD experience, so there's nothing I can possibly add.

So it's a hard task. Studying an experience without actually having it is very difficult and extremely limited. On the other hand, having the experience doesn't help at all. But it's still fun to explore the subject.

I think there's a parallel with death. The people who really know the truth about death are the ones who died, but obviously knowing the truth about death automatically prevents you from sharing it with "living" people.

Hmm... that's food for thought, don't you think?

Enjoy,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins