Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Is No Other Offical One Than Yours, Church Boy

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on September 23, 2002 05:18:44 UTC

Hi Aaron and Hardeep

However, what I posted was as official as any you posted, since I quoted fairly and named the sense in which I was using the term. That is the same as defining the term officially.

My definition of avatar was the MOST pertinent because it pertained to what I had written and was being asked to explain ...

The dictionary I used was Webster's New World Dictionary, 1966 edition.

Further context:
Dictionaries are written for the entire language.
Some questions arise for which future editions may add to the meanings. If ideas are well-founded, as mine are, they sometimes linger long enough to find their way into the conversations and literature read by dictionary makers.
Dictionary-makers are trendsetters in the sense that they are the arbiters of language, but I don't think they reserve to themselves the exclusive right to attach meanings to words.

Since no religion properly concepts which extends the topic for which I employed the term "avatar" to attempt to answer questions which a scientifically literate,
21st century thinker might ask,
I have the right to use the term in context to do that -- even before the dictionary does so -- especially if I am willing to hang around and explain it...which I am.

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins