Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Quick Initial Reply

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on September 22, 2002 20:39:29 UTC

I do believe anatomy and physiology is under-rated as a factor in some of our experiences. This is not to dismiss spirit topics, but to find them more reliably.

Wrote:
"Once I tried something called 'a vertical slide'. It starts vertical, then slowly curves to a long out-run. When I tried it, the surprise of momentarily free-falling was accompanied by a 'heart-in-my-mouth' sensation. It seems that one's brain creates a model of one's body's position in 3D-space."

I note the brain and the blood in vessels have a different density than the more fibrous heart, and that the physics of the freefall causes the blood and brain to fall at a slightly different rate than the denser body parts...until the body makes an almost immediate physiological adjustment from moment to moment as well as it can I am guessing some permutation of this story is what causes the sensation you describe. So I am guessing it is hydraulic engineering encoded into our glandular system that causes the adjustment. Abstract mental models also may, or may not, be a part.
It would be neat to have someone do the homework of proving me wrong on this one.

And then I realized I had been alive the whole time!

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins