Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Earthly Harmony And Higher Consciousness May B Separate Tracks

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on September 19, 2002 16:53:02 UTC

Hi
It's nice to have your note. I wonder if you can
extend your overall experience to make some comments about the following thoughts.

I have just been reading some paragraphs by
Alan Watts. He left his church for a more
ecumenical life. He compared religious institutions to "tombs."
He used the following as an example.
"Why seek ye the dead among the living?" said the angels at Jesus' tomb
to the women who were first to arrive there the morning after the Sabbath. The angel said,"He is risen!"

Alan Watts said if we seek the living God by emulating and erecting historical institutions,
we are seeking the living among the dead.
We should realize the true nature of our living spirits is "Risen" and not in the constant remembrances and reiterations of the historical events. I value the preservation of those stories with ritual up to a point, but also I agree with much of Watts' idea there.

Watts also decided he believes that each Avatar is a
Child of God equal to Jesus. I can alomst agree, with the additional observation that Jesus' story of being misused by the world is even more true than that of most Avatars.
A God who stays only in comfortable sanctuaries is somehow less satisfying. Jesus "Went into the City" where the people have their troubles, and applied himself with love, without force of destructive weaponry amid the danger. That is a very hard idea to reconcile with religious armies, but the world is a very confusing place.
I do not believe every passage in the Bible is consistent with every other passage, but there's a general story there that exceeds most other stories of its kind.
I'm just rambling too ~

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins