Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Existence Is Function Of Time; Makes No Sense To Apply To "God."

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on September 19, 2002 01:26:43 UTC

Jisbond,

Welcome back.

Appealing to cause-and-effect leads to the denial of God (at least a God in the sense that God is unrestricted by time), or it leads to a recognition that we can't define God via rationalization. We can't define God.

That is, if we define God as something beyond the real phenomena of causation, then we're doomed to argue God away; arguments "work" because they are phrased in terms we understand, spatial and temporal terms -- cause and effect. (We could always define God as some mortal being, but how is this a God?) Unless we find a way to "rationalize around" these real phenomena we find ourselves back at the dilemma of intellect-vs-morality.

Despite what they mean to define "God" and "exists" are sub-paranormal concepts; naturally based within causation. I don't think we can rationalize any sense of a God outside of rationalization.

However, there's (bits and pieces of) an interesting, novel argument for God at http://www.ctmu.org , though the more I read the few pieces of it available online, the more I see a flaw.

However, as the author points out, one should "hold criticism until having read the whole thing" (paraphrased). The author is, after all, trying to sell a book (not published just yet). Anyway, I've got the "teasers" from this book scattered about my house right now, and I must say it's impressive.

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins