Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
In A Manner Of Speaking Yes, And No.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on September 18, 2002 23:16:17 UTC

"So according to you, what we believe in automatically becomes true? Or the gods have always existed, and they simply thrive on our beliefs?"

Gods are states of the mind. I am not saying that they are true, but that they exist. Gods govern our lives, no matter how many people believe in them. A God exists only as an idea... once it has been defined as an idea, it cannot be taken away. All Gods are immortal. The more we understand (make up) about a God, the more control the God has over our life. They do not thrive on how strong peoples' beliefs in them are, but on how much we know about them. The more people believing in a God, the more they think about the God, and the more people know about a God. Thus, Gods can grow in power.

I believe that I am an atheist because of the fact that I do not believe that any God exists as an ultimate being. I think that they just exist as ideas. However, they can be just as influential as ideas as if they existed.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins