Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Time Streched Backward Forever? That Sounds Sci-fi-ish.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Sam Patterson on September 18, 2002 14:38:30 UTC

"It didn't come from anywhere, it literally always was. I consider the idea that the universe literally sprang from nothing (no laws, no previous conditions, nothing) to be absurd. I think that there either was an infinite procession of events before now (i.e. time stretched back forever)"

Time streched back forever? Wait a minute! There was never a begining? Stormcrow, you are a very smart person. You really think this? Doesn't there have to be a begining to everything? I mean, why (how?) would time have streched forever (which doesn't seem possible), then all of a sudden it expanded (the big bang).

Don't you think you are streching it a bit?

"...or our universe was generated from an atemporal (but all-emcompassing) set of laws that are the basic building blocks of reality. The first possibility doesn't allow a god, the second might.

I know, you're going to say that this original source was God. I think it all depends on how you define the word God. (i.e. do you require sentience or not?)"

If you believe this one then you have to re-answer my original question. Why this all-encampassing set of laws? How? And how would an unsentient 'God' create these complex laws which govern our universe?

Ok, your right. I obviously believe God made these laws, and the earth in six days. Yes, he is sentient. I think you know what my God is like.

The big bang sure is confusing.....

Sam, KC2GWX

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins