Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Salman

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 18, 2002 14:38:25 UTC

God is infinite. He is not finite. The moment that we talk about God we have somehow reduced his magnificance to a human level. We have - out of necessity - framed God in terms of our own human image of what God is. It follows then, that each historical period is bound to frame God in terms of a 'picture frame' as they could conceive of him at that their juncture in history.

Science, modern philosophy, and modern theology are simply modern conceptions which ultimately try to gain some new modern perspective of God. For scientists, 'God' is the physical laws of the universe, for philosophers 'God' is the logical order of the universe, and for theologians 'God' provides the underlying purpose of the universe. As much as we might enjoy these modern perspectives, they are still human frameworks and therefore are not picturing the real God who is infinite and cannot be put in a human framework.

Hence, all we have is our historical and modern attempt to understand God the best we can. For you, that historical tradition involves Islam. For me, that historical tradition involves Christianity and modern science and philosophy.

Since my framework is based on the biblical tradition, I see God from this perspective. I realize it is a fallible perspective (again, as any perspective of the infinite God must necessarily be), therefore I have no problem with fallible texts of the Bible. I see the scriptures as Holy Writ in the manner in which I believe it was inspired to be understood.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins