Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Paid For My DNA Course With Wage Labor; You Want A Free Class

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on September 16, 2002 00:55:24 UTC

Hi,
It's so seldom anyone sincerely apologizes to me.
Thank you.
The errors about DNA can only be approached systematically. If you go read about it carefully, that will basically confirm what I said.
You wrote:
"My point is that DNA can't select what traits go to the next generation since it can't think."
You have identifed a very important area which, if you comprehend it, will enable you to race ahead of many biologists I've heard discussing it.
Even Darwin may have been a little confused on th is.
Selection is not a good term here, no matter how hallowedand traditional, if it is creating a misunderstanding. I think all other uses of the term do imply thinking or at least preference.
In the natural world, I think what they call "selection" is only the after-effect -- the form which emerges from the DNA pathways which were not blocked by time or chance. Like water, DNA may reconverge to create some of the same traits which were lost to time and chance. It's unlikely, but only because so many different forms are possible.
We are now in artificial selection. Since we are semi-conscious beings, :), we actually ARE, with every resource allocation decision, selecting the future of the biosphere and our species -- however haphazardly and foolishly.

May we have wisdom to select better in times to come.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins