Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Think You Are Mistaken

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 15, 2002 15:45:29 UTC

Luis,

I've criticized Dick's use of time, reality, etc. My criticism is not the same as your criticism. Your criticism is that you think he wants to refer to time independent of his frame of reference. But, I don't see this in his assumptions. The basis of his paper is his frame of reference. He tries to start from scratch and talk in terms of only his sense impressions of the world and not knowing which of his sense impressions are real (i.e., actually exist in teh universe) and which are simply mistaken notions. You might read the dialog we are having on the Space Exploration sub-forum.

My criticism isn't that he references time according to his own meaning of the term, rather it is that he tries to equate his meaning of those terms with the physical equations that he tries to deduce from his earlier assumptions. The physical equations might look like the equations of physics, but this is where his peculiar definitions of time, velocity, etc, come back to haunt him. He isn't actually referring to the physics' terms, hence the equations might look like the geniune article, but they cannot be since his definition of those terms are different. Dick's argument, I imagine, is that because the physics equations are the same format as his deduced equations, therefore his definitions of time must be correct. This is when (I think) he tries to show that Einstein's use of the clock was mistaken.

It would seem to me that anyone can define a word as they wish, but this becomes confusing and should not be done. Although, I still don't see how Dick introduces time as independent of the frame of reference. Please show me.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins