Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Don't Feel Disrespected!

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on September 14, 2002 02:52:40 UTC

Hi Mike,

Just because I do not comment on your posts does not mean that I think anything disrespectful about you. Personally I am of the opinion that you are one of the most rational people here. I have read your above posts with regard to the comments by "Sam". I would point out that most people have absolutely no concept of the significance of "long" periods of time. Most can comprehend time only on the order of magnitude of their own life-span (to a five year old, infinite time is about 5 years).

I am about 5 inches taller than my father. It is general knowledge that our generation is roughly about an inch taller than the last generation or very close to 2% . If this kind of thing were true for 6000 years (a common creationist time frame; about 300 generations) our size could easily have changed by a factor of three (take 1.02 times itself 300 times). That would imply Adam could have been less than 2 foot tall.

Raise this to 6 million years and our ancestors could be the size of bacteria without ever changing any faster than we are currently changing. Likewise changes in other characteristics necessary to convert from fish to Einstein would be unnoticeable from one generation to the next over such a time span.

Notice that, as far as modern scientists can determine, man 6 million years ago was quite similar to current man. We should be surprised at the stability of the species, not at the changes.

Have fun -- Dick

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins