Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Hmm...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 13, 2002 20:14:36 UTC

Aurino,

In my view, mathematics is just a language, and many people have found a way to talk about nothing without having something to talk about (aka cell phones), so it doesn't surprise me that some people can do the same with math. What fascinates me the most, is why so many do not realize the importance that empirical findings bears in relation to the reliability of something being considered true. Of course, empirical findings is not what makes us consider something true (because you would need empirical findings to support that assertion, ad infinitum), but it is surprising to me that some people do not realize how creative the human mind is at construing an argument to match our current knowledge of something (i.e., Bible Codes). The fact that this book was a best-seller shows how gullible our society - even well-known scientists - are at misinterpreting our human creativity into something more.

Any case, have a good one!

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins