Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
No Argument Whatsoever

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on September 13, 2002 19:56:52 UTC

Harv,

I guess my whole point is that we should never lose sight of the fact that those things we assume to be valid are valid only because they get things done, not because they are "true". I doubt you disagree with that.

You are very close to understanding what my beef with science is. I think most assumptions required by science are fully justified, I have no problem with them at all. The only thing that gets my blood boiling is when scientists claim that the empirical success of science means their assumptions are true. I think one has to be an idiot to believe that, and the idea that many scientists are in fact idiots casts a shade of doubt on the credibility of science as a whole.

That said, my reawakened interested in physics prompted me to read Einstein and Feynman, and that has been an extremely positive experience for me. Today I came to think only lesser scientists deserve my criticism, that the really great thinkers fully understand what science is, which is what makes them great in the first place. It is funny that some people here think I've been "converted" to relativity after reading Einstein, when what really happened was that I realized Einstein never said the stupid things some self-proclaimed "experts in relativity" say. Einstein was fully aware of the limitations of what he was doing, while those lesser thinkers can't see that.

So, once again, all is well with the world. Gosh, I must be in a good mood today, it must have been this morning's "miracle"

Now I'm really really going. Take care,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins