Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Belief Is That Creativity Is Involved

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on September 13, 2002 12:26:20 UTC

I am actually a creationist, but one that accepts currenr scientific understanding as to the age and evolution of the universe, our planet and its lifeforms. There is scientific evidence of creationism that creationists overlook because they are so determined to believe in the Old Testament word for word.

The evidence is of a guided evolution. The best evidence I am aware of is the evolution of ears.

Ears apparently evolved over millions of years from a curious configuration of reptillian bones for which the reptiles had no known purpose.

I recall reading of other such "anticipatory" bone configurations but forget what they are. The point is that if evolution is guided rather than being left to pure chance, it is likely that some nonfunctional elements (or mutations)of lifeforms would be developed along the way. Whereas, if there were no guidance, then presumably nonfunctional mutations would not survive.

So there should be enough data for creationists to make the case that evolution can be or was guided. But unfortunately most creationists (the astronmer Ross is an exception) are so hung up on a 6,000 year old universe, a belief that flies in the face of all science, but especially physics and astronomy, that a golden opportunity to support religious belief is being missed.

While I have the eyes of the creationists on this forum, I will bet that none of you have ever read the word of god in either the old testament or the new. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew and the New Testament was written in Greek. So the word of god is in Hebrew and Greek. So my guess is that none of you have ever read the word of god, but just some fallible translation.

Moreover, the words of Jesus were spoken in Aromaic, not either Hebrew or Greek. So even the original New Testament in Greek was a translation.

So I think it is ridiculous to put so much emphasis on the bible word for word when none of you have read the original words, and many of the important words, those of Jesus, were never even written down in the original language.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins