Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Questions

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on September 13, 2002 09:43:21 UTC

Hi MIM,
By your religion's thinking (or yours, if you do any thinking independently)
1) Why not cover the mind, if not the body?
After all, the mind usually exhibits one vice or another. If one's is not 'lust' (such as strong interest in physical beauty) then one might have as a vice instead an overbearing
pride and vanity in one's pious, austere and self-assured dogmatism and cultural idiosynchrasies.
2) Is it not true that huge numbers of
Arabs have moved into and populated Europe since 1,500 BC but they don't practice Islam? This leads to 3) Is it not true that until oil was discovered, the vast majority of Islamic countries were falling far, far behind the West technologically, and that gargantuan amounts of oil money has allowed them to purchase part of the way back to modernity?
4) Please tell us if it is true that women were less veiled and politically much stronger in Islamic countries during most of the period known as the Muslim Golden Age, when the glorious accomplishments of science, math and literature were recorded?
5) What do you think of Yanniru's idea that all paths lead to God, including Jewish, Christian, Buddhist etc. It is my understanding that to you, this idea is Language Removed. On this one, we might agree. But my belief in cultural relativism would lead me to refrain from calling other folks 'unbelievers.' I would just call folks who don't believe as I do "semi-literate dogmatists" or "illiterate savages." I would not say God disapproves of them any more than I would say God disapproves of small ignorant children. Most have not yet come to comprehend what I believe. But it is my understanding that you think God disapproves of folks who do not believe as you believe, and you believe God will punish them in the afterlife.
I predict you will not really answer these head-on.
But if you do, you might really say something.

Regards,
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins