Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"thingsthatImustassumetobevalid" Cannot Be Ignored

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Harvey on September 12, 2002 16:57:19 UTC

Aurino,

***Do you agree that "whatevergetsthingsdone" exist?***

I agree it exists.

***Do you also agree that it's perfectly possible, totally within our means, to discover a lot of "whatevergetsthingsdone"?***

The "whatevergetsthingsdone" is a process used to invent/discover "somethingthatisdone".

***Do you also agree that any attempt to discover that which is not "whatevergetsthingsdone" will not result in getting things done, which means it's probably a waste of time?***

No. The reason is that "whatevergetsthingsdone" is dependent on other philosophical issues. The "whatevergetsthingsdone" is not successful in a vacuum. We cannot just approach a phenomena, apply a little "whatevergetsthingsdone" and whoa-la... we have "somethingthatisdone". That is, the "whatevergetsthingsdone" needs to occur in a background of "thingsthatImustassumetobevalid" in order to arrive at "somethingthatisdone". Experiments ("whatevergetsthingsdone") are theory-laden ("thingsthatImustassumetobevalid") in order to arrive at sound scientific results ("somethingthatisdone").

***What I'm trying to understand here is, why do people spend time with things that are not "whatevergetsthingsdone"? What's the point? If they do it for fun, I can understand it, but that is not what it seems. It does seem that they believe that things which are not "whatevergetsthingsdone" matter, and with that I can't possibly agree.***

If they just do "whatevergetsthingsdone" without "thingsthatImustassumetobevalid", then "nothinggetsdone" is what happens. The problem with "nothinggetsdone" is that people are not satisfied with this state.

Warm regards, Harv

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins