Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Agree With You, Paul, But...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phillip Martin on September 10, 2002 21:09:30 UTC

Hi Paul,

It is nice to be back.

It seems to me that you see things as I do, about the topics that you discussed. However, what I meant (which, after reading my post, was not what I said)was consciousness on a more 'personal' scale.

To better explain what I mean, I will state some of the possibilities that I have considered, including some that I have ruled out (in no particular order).

1) Our brain is made up of neurons, these neurons process data by electrical impulses. Our consciousness is continually 'reborn' trillions of times per second, and only exists during the impulses. It is a chain reaction that is our consciousness.

2) Our brains store information, and make connections continually. Our consciousness is simply the sum of our stored information and connections, and can be copied. Thus immortality (the prolonging of life, for, perhaps, billions of years or more) is possible, by copying our information and connection patterns to a suitable processing device

3) Same as #2, except that we are a combination of our mind (the combination of our memories, neural connections, etc.)and body (the neurons, glial cells, bodily fluids, etc.). We must have both to be our self, neither can be us without the other.
This hypothesis allows for mind and body to be separated. If this happens, other matter acting as the body (with the SAME characteristics)may continue to process information, and will be compatible with the original body (to be combined as the original consciousness) so long as they retain the same characteristics. However, this only works if there is two identical bodies and one mind, any other combination results in one consciousness and one incompatible body. The only exception is if there are two bodies and two minds. In which case, there will be two consciousnesses.

If the above needs to be clarified, just let me know.

Warm Regards,

Phillip

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins