Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Vitamin D

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on September 9, 2002 02:13:29 UTC

Hi Kyle,

It's my understanding that biologists generally
have abandoned the idea of "race." I have.
A couple of notes on what you wrote:

You wrote:
"the loss of skin pigmentation in Caucasians"

Btw, a tremendous number of Caucasians are dark.
In fact, the Caucasus Mountains are not very far north. I am sure I am part Caucasian, and some of my siblings get great tans, while others don't.
The event you cited took place thousands of years ago...maybe even thousands of generations. The numerical increase of the trait may have occurred as follows:

In ancient times, folks with less pigmentation apparently gained an advantage in chilly northern climes during ice ages. Many of our ancestors did not meet their vitamin D need through eating the organs of ocean mammals; they were able to manufacture D in sunlight. Perhaps you have heard this before... that babies wrapped in furs all day in winter could develop rickets as they grew up if they had so much pigmentation that it inhibited Vitamin D production during the few minutes of sunglight on their face. Their parents didn't know about the need for sunlight.
Thelighter skin let in more sunlight for vitamin D production. This gave
lighter skinned babies an advantage...one of many examples of how a trait increased in frequency.

What you wrote is important to the general question. Thanks and congratulations.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins