Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
"Correct" Is Something A Dog Can Be; Give Him A Treat

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on September 7, 2002 14:40:32 UTC

I don't apologize to Paul, because I am not comparing him personally to a dog. Luis seems to think he knows who is "correct" without addressing any objections.

For Luis to be the arbiter, he would have to obtain my consent too. His given reasoning was simply to mis-paraphrase the question and endorse the current thinking because it was "standard."

Luis wrote:
"Paul This is an old Stanford-Binet IQ question and the answer it to place the first 10' board at a 45 degree angle across any corner. The second 10' board will then be able to reach the castle."

The question was not, "HOW do you use to boards to create a walkway across a moat?" The question I remember, without checking, was,"What is the widest the moat can be and still allow you to cross it 'with the boards'? etc."
(A few stipulations were added, but not the right ones.)

The old Stanford-Binet question is inadequate if
it was asked in the way it was stated to us.

The question displays a low IQ by not choosing the best words to ask the question. The best words were freely available.

If you want to ask another "geometry-in-action" question, do not ignore the most basic engineering realities.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins