Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
There Will Be Much Wailing And Gnashing Of Teeth When I'm Done

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Mario Dovalina on September 2, 2002 17:16:53 UTC

"I don't claim to be opened minded all the time. Sometimes it is a good idea not to have an open mind and sometimes it is a really BAD idea to have a closed mind."

I disagree. I think it is the best goal to have an open mind in all situations (not neccesarily accept all possibilities as likely or true, but at least POSSIBLE.) I have admitted on numerous occasions that my own opinions on the matter are just opinions, and that I very well could be wrong. I do not recall you doing any such thing. In my mind, leaving no room for error is a sign of ignorance.

"Tolerance. I'm tolerant. Although many people have tolerance confused with acceptance."

Again you amaze me with strange definitions of 'tolerance,' as you amaze me consistently with a definition of the 'love of God' which is usually alloted to child murderers. If you are truly tolerant of someone, you must also be accepting of them. Otherwise your tolerance is a facade for loathing. Of course, you don't have to AGREE with them. However, accepting them for who they are, in their own right, is a noble (and dare I say, Christian) thing to do. Your version of 'tolerance' is to simply allow infidels to remain alive, until their death, whereupon a kind and loving Jesus will show a similar form of tolerance by setting them on fire for all eternity.

"Your laid back or lazy in your faith."

Because he takes the Bible with a grain of salt, he is lazy in his faith? Come on. He is simply smart enough not to take it so literally. Because he disagrees with you on the Bible's nature does not make him dishonest or lazy in the least. And you claim to be tolerant.

"Science changes all the time, but the bible doesn't."

Yeah, neither does Greek myth, so what?

"The creationists could be wrong. I'm just convinced that they are right. Show me I'm wrong with convincing proof and I'll change my mind."

I'm sorry, but I don't take this as a genuine admission of possibility of error. You time and time again, when confronted with evidence you could not refute, fell back on arguments like "Well, I don't know a whole lot about geology, so I don't have to answer any geological inconsistencies in my belief" or "maybe there is some Unknown Principle that lets light travel faster" or "the light from distant stars may have been created en route." Aaron, if you use arguments like this to defend yourself, can't you see that you will NEVER take any evidence as evidence of your incorrectness? There is NO PROOF - ANYTHING - that can not be explained by "God did it that way." I've had people say to me that evidence of evolution was God testing our faith. What evidence could POSSIBLY convince you?

"That last paragraph may seem to be a little spitful, but I after being called fake and you are against me even though you are for tolerance and open minds can bring a little of the LISTEN TO ME part of me out."

Bringing out you inner Inquisitor?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins