Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
A Short Lesson In Mathematics For Dick And Harv

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on August 30, 2002 16:44:41 UTC

Hi Dick and Harv,

It's great to see you two communicating again in a way that looks promising.

D: ***The circumvention occurs because, using only mathematics, I can construct a completely general model of what you know which aligns quite nicely with my "ontological bias" thus that bias becomes immaterial (it is without material consequence).***

The short math lesson: Constructing a completely general model using only mathematics is known as developing and proving a theorem. The only reason you don't agree, Dick, is that you learned how to use and apply mathematical theorems and techniques to solve problems. You have not studied what is sometimes called "Pure Mathematics", which involves the foundations of mathematics and the philosophical issues surrounding the subject. Not that you don't understand it; you do. You just don't recognize it for what it is. You have definitely proved a theorem.

And, Harv, if you would look at Dick's work in this way, as I suggested in an old post which you never did respond to, I think you would easily see how Dick's work has shed light on the discussion you are now having.

***I deal directly with the problem of the fact that we only have a limited portion of "ultimate reality" to work with and am astounded that you have no interest in following the logic of that procedure. Your concern seems always to be the idea that such issues cannot be thought of.***

Dick is exactly right here: such issues can indeed be thought of, and that is exactly what mathematics does.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins