Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I May Have Made A Big Mistake

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on August 30, 2002 16:19:17 UTC

Hi Mike,

***I am now suspicious that you have been blind to the actual shape of the situation and cast a kind of innuendo toward me.***

I may have been blind to the actual shape of the situation as a result of making an erroneous assumption. If the assumption I made is wrong, then I profusely apologize for what I said, what I implied, what I thought, and what I am about to write in the remainder of this post. Please tell me I am wrong and forgive and forget all the innuendos that were the unfortunate consequences of my bad assumption.

The assumption I made was that you are the person who posted under the name "redhead".

Unless you tell me different, I remain convinced that you are the "redhead". So, based on that assumption, your post at

http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/20878.shtml

deserves the "troll" designation. With that kind of initial reception to this forum, I don't blame Genie for stomping away. I regret the loss.

***I think you were giving me additional information that Genie is a lady.***

Yes, I was. I have been in personal communication with her outside this forum, and in my opinion, she is a lady.

***But I don't think she depends on me for her chances.***

You are right: she doesn't depend on you. But, as it turns out, you were among the first to respond to her on this forum, and, being short of time like many of us, Gina took her cue as to the character of the respondees on this forum from your response. You hit her squarely between the eyes with your post. I can't blame her for deciding to walk away.

***Nor was I taking any chances from her.***

When I asked you to give her a chance, I was not implying that you were taking any chances from her.

***Furthermore, she labelled me a troll and stomped away.***

Understandably so.

***Now, I don't think that was justified.***

I do.

***And I have only your word that she is a she or that Genie is not anonymous.***

That may have been true at the time you wrote it. But, even so, don't you trust my word?

***Well, by definition, she or he might be anonymous to me and not to you if I know nothing more than a one syllable word purported to be a name.***

Hence my appeal for politeness. It is polite to treat strangers with respect at the introduction. If later on they earn our disrespect, so be it. But if after getting to know them, they turn out to deserve our respect, it is better than we treated them well early on. This kind of politeness really does help us get along in this world.

***And since Genie said almost nothing after arriving and before leaving, I am now suspicious that you have been blind to the actual shape of the situation and cast a kind of innuendo toward me.***

If your suspicions are confirmed, and I was wrong in my assumption of you being the "redhead", I sincerely apologize, I ask your forgiveness, and I ask your assistence in opening my eyes to the actual shape of the situation.

***Were you implying that I was giving Genie some kind of trouble?***

Yes.

***What was all that about?***

It's all explained in this post.

BTW, I am going camping at Nason Creek in an hour or so for the weekend. I'll talk to you when I get back. I hope your weather on that side of the mountains is not too hot for us.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins