Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
My Own Thoughts...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Scott on August 27, 2002 19:34:42 UTC

For instance, I can imagine a scenario in which a murder victim is stabbed to death, then exposed to open space for less than five minutes shortly after. I wouldn't think that an autopsy would show anoxia--he was already dead before the exposure. But I would think that the freeze-drying effect of the super cold vacuum would quickly effect any exposed blood--perhaps even powder some of it--and also leave tale tell signs on the dermal layer--particularly in the extremities.

Of course, whenever you freeze meat (granted, in a wet freezer, not a super cold vacuum) once you thaw it, the blood is rather watery. The blood has broken down.

In the scenario I've given (space exposure for less than five minutes, postmortem), I would not think the body would have time to completely freeze even at those super low temperatures (over 400 below), but surely there would be something noticeable to the trained eye. Just take into account how fast hypothermia sets into a victim who's still alive in cold water--never mind any vacuum.

Any thoughts?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins