Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
An Inconsistency

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on August 27, 2002 19:07:00 UTC

Paul,

The two statements below, which followed each other seem to be contradictory, one saying that Peano Axioms are assumptions, and the other implying that they are math tools and not assumptions. Stafford and I have gone round and round about his assumptions- particularly the shift symmetry assumption. I do not see how shift symmetry follows from a communicable universe. Could you explain that one for me.

Paul:I agree, those assumptions being at least the Peano Axioms which deliver numbers.

Paul: You mistake the tools of mathematics for the objects of mathematics. Dick used the
tool kit provided by the English language, the rules of logic, the mathematical system of arithmetic with
its numbers, and the theorems of analysis including calculus and matrix algebra. Using these tools, he
proved that any universe which is communicable must adhere to his constraint. He made no assumption
on the universe except that it be communicable.

Me: I do not see any evidence of shift symmetry in the above statement.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins