Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Have Not Heard That One But Sounds Interesting

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Phil.o.Sofir on December 18, 1999 07:42:33 UTC

: We discussed the theory of jungle to plain in my anthro class, my proffessor happened to have a ma/phd harvard and liked to keep current. : I do remember that he tried to hook a "rider" on that bill that stated human beings could never have been carnivorous scavangers, his reason was that dogs cannot eat broccolli. I could not believe he would say that, almost in a way to preserve some dignity for the human view that we are special and must submit to the relipolitical version of what we once were. : I had to tell him that it most probably facilitated our move toward the plain, and as we gained a greater dependence on meat, we began full blown hunting ourselves, part of this was learned by observing over milliniea, how the large predators killed prey while we were waiting until they had had enough to allow us to drive them off of what was left of a kill. I them had to point out that since domesticated, dogs have come to be able to eat so much more than they used to, now, they can eat virtually anything you scrape off the plate, including artificial stuff. : Oh, yeah that goes with the part where it was supposed to make all this impossible because we "cant" eat raw/rotten meat... Well, it would not have had time to rot, and we eat raw meat today... Maybe I have a little clue if not all of it! : ********** : It's suggested that certain characteristics point to an intermediate acquatic stage after leaving the jungle, but before the plain stage. It could explain the reasons why we're streamlined (V shaped hairs on our back, absent in apes), are hairless except on our heads - the only part exposed to sunlight, are good swimmers (even infants show this ability), have greater hand manipulation (plus that little webbed part between the fingers), have a layer of subcutaneous fat (found in other acquatic animals, but absent in primates), have moist dung (wouldn't that be a waste of water in the scorching heat of the plains), and salty tears/sweat (also found in aquatic animals). It may be possible that after these attributes were gained, we were more fit to face hunting life on the plains.

***That is an interesting direction, when was this proposed, by who? Is it in classrooms now?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins