Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Ah Marriage. My Religion Teacher Explained That One With A Diamond Analogy.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Beelzebub X on December 14, 1999 21:50:53 UTC

: Beelzebub: : Righteous marriage? Who does determine what is a righteous marriage? I'd really like to know that. : -------- : If my memory serves me, according to my high school religion teacher, a marriage was deemed to be a marriage by the couple themselves. The couple initiates this sacrament and the whole ceremony is meant to signify what's occured in their hearts... an unbreakable covenant or something (the priest doesn't cause marriage to occur, he just makes it legal and official). Thus, if one of the members in the marriage really was never in love, or information was withheld by one of the parties that would have effected whether or not the marriage covenent would be made (ex. say you didn't tell her you were gay, that you were already married, etc), the marriage was never a true one. Hence, you could get an annulment granted by the church that says "your marriage was never really a true marriage in the first place, so your free to have guiltless sex with other people," or something to that effect. Of course the negative implication would be if the couple had kids, in which case the children are left feeling like they were the product of an unholy unity, and they aren't seen as God's children. Needless to say it can cause needless trauma. Also, since the "withholding info" thing can be rather ambiguous (ex. I didn't know he/she was a slob, thus making cohabitation impossible), there are more annulments than ever before, especially in northamerica.

: According to my teacher, the ceremony wasn't really necessary, the whole exchaning rings was a symbol of an unbreakable covenant. I theory this kind of a think could be done in my basement... and you wouldn't even need a real priest. Hmmm... getting ideas.

Beelzebub: You need no priest? Is that true bzrd? Then a marriage is only a special kind of friendship? What kind of ceremony is at least necessary? What is when you want to marry a mentally disturbed person? Is that possible? The person is not able to say "I love you" or "I want to marry you", etc. Must you love a person when you want to marry her/him or is it enough when you like her/him? Is a marriage between homosexual persons really not allowed?

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins