Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Here We Go Again

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on August 16, 2002 13:16:41 UTC

Hi Alan,

I'm really sorry about my post. It was meant to give you a jolt, not to rough you up. Sorry about that.

" Just think how hilarious our attempts at communicating will seem when we return to telepathy! "

That was, in a sense, my point. Since we can't communicate through telepathy, we should be respectful to other people and abide by the constraints they impose on our use of language. It's not our fault that people don't understand us.

" I didn't think my argument was very difficult to follow. "

Try to follow this: "hoje esta um dia bonito, o verao e a melhor epoca do ano em minha opiniao"

Did you have trouble following that? I know some 200 million people who find that piece of cake!

" I could follow Dr. Dick's explanation about delta functions aimed at me and Yanniru, precisely; he was correct. "

Good for you! You have just become the second person in the whole universe who understands Dick's argument.

" 1. You pull a ball on a string towards you constantly when you swing it around your head; centrifugal force is the previous to-the-center pulling, "displaced" sideways by new direction of the ball. "

I can assure you that you can't possibly get anywhere if you take the concept of centrifugal force seriously. That was, as I remember, one of the first misconceptions I had to throw away when I started learning physics in high school.

" 2. The more broad-defining categories you overlap each other to narrow down a word definition; the more that the older more broad overlaps definition of that word are squeezed together within the new definition from the perspective of the new narrowing category. "

I understood almost everything you said here, except for the part starting with "broad-defining..."

" 3. That squeezing together of the old categories overlap that gave the broader definition of a word, seen from the new; may be a model for gravity; and "mass" may be the new narrow version of the word times its frequency in all those old categories; possibly giving G = m1m2/ r squared as per Newton. "

Now those equations that appear out of nowhere do leave me puzzled.

" ... I was up late at night trying to understand "QED" by Richard Feynman; these and other patterns lead to a dream. I woke up after a fascinating dream during which a chess game raced away from me at the speed of light and the pieces started moving backwards in time and a dog barked at such a strange sight and: a simple formula appeared! "

Robert Schumann, the composer, once had a dream about Franz Schubert, whom Schumann never met in life. In his dream, "Schubert" dictated an entire concerto, which Schumann upon wakening up rushed to write down. When, in all his enthusiasm, he showed it to his wife, the poor woman was deeply distressed. The concerto he dreamed about was actually a piece of his own which he had written several years before.

There is also the story about a famous scientist (can't remember his name), who dreamed about discovering a new law of nature. He woke up extremely excited, only to find out what the law of nature was: "nuts are always smaller than their shells"

Dreams... what do we make of them?

" I think free-ranging thinking is good for physics discoveries. "

And bowel movements are good for our bodies. I just don't think either should be done in public.

" I thought I may have found a model for gravity. "

You would still have a very difficult problem to overcome, which is to demonstrate that your model is better than general relativity. Sometimes you and Dick seem like two of a kind.

" Being ignored is not nice; being properly argued with is better. "

OK. That's why I'm not ignoring you despite the fact I said I would.

" I am a free thinker and what I say is not so difficult as people think; talking to people in real life has shown me that. "

Sure, but this is not real life, this is the internet, and here life is limited to exchanging words.

" It's not hard to extract the essence of what I post. "

That sounds like a line coming from Dick's keyboard.

" I am astonished when people seem unable to follow very basic textbook philosophy like: how words are defined as described by John Hospers. "

I'm also astonished by the fact that most people think Bach is boring. That's life.

" But Paul, Robert Garfinkle, and Dr. Kyle Paye all seemed to cotton on well to stuff I wrote. And you have at times to, and Harv has had sustained debate; and many others. I haven't fared too badly. "

That was my point. You do have interesting ideas now and then, I wanted to hear more about them and less about your dreams. But, hey, that's just me.

Cheers,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins