Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I'm Glad You Understood It Now

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on August 15, 2002 13:21:26 UTC

Hi Bruce,

Even though Dick complains that you never post anything intelligent, I think the only problem with you is that you don't post enough. I for one enjoy reading your brief comments. There aren't many physicists here and the few who are seldom talk about physics.

" Dick's model isn't isomorphic with relativity. "

I think what Dick is really saying is that his entire model is isomorphic to the entirety of physics, which of course doesn't mean that isolated portions are isomorphic. The problem as I see it is that since his definition of time differs from the one used by physicists, and since t is the single most important variable in physics, one can easily see how messy it can get.

" Its interesting that you say you disagreed with relativity prior to making an effort to familiarize yourself with what Einstein proposed. "

To be honest, I'm not entirely convinced that there isn't a better solution to the problems Einstein solved, but I mean "better" only in the sense of "more elegant" or "more intuitive". I think you're knowledgeable enough to understand that even though movement affects the "rate of change" of a clock, it doesn't affect its readings. From a philosophical perspective that issue is, in my opinion, extremely meaningful, but from a scientific perspective, I think it's entirely beside the point.

So my trouble was with Einstein the philosopher. The only thing I realized, after reading his book, was that he was smart enough not to waste time with philosophy! Now you can only worship a guy like that.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins