Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
I Hear Some Smart Kid Is Scouring The North Pole For Santa.

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on August 15, 2002 02:41:08 UTC

Aurino,

>>>"I have a very serious character flaw . . . "

Although by today’s standards many folks might agree with the façade of this remark and criticize your humility, I agree with your intended point – more of us should be so humble.

>>>"you can never convince a person of a fact that person does not want to accept"

Amen.

>>>"Is quantum mechanics old news? Relativity? . . .What planet are you from?"

LOL. You’re right, but I was just pushing the tone of my rhetoric to a degree commensurate with the level of Stafford’s pomp.

There’s a different sort of 'relativity' going on here. With his "Foundations," Stafford, an extremely educated man, walks us through his own personal realization of some genuinely esoteric concepts. The assimilation of QM with relativity is hardly an easy mental exercise; hardly "old news," BUT . . . relative to his own particular education, and relative to the intelligence of many other people I’ve seen in here, Stafford's personal journey through these paradigms is nothing revolutionary. Certainly, I think, not any type of eureka! material. When someone thunders into a forum like this one, claiming to have reinvented the wheel, he'd better have something the rest of us haven't already mulled over.

Staf makes for a fun and easy target, I guess. People can be mean, and what goes around comes around. I mean, it's not like we're witnessing some kind, polite physics elder who humbly offers his ingenious theory for the rest of us to consider. Ha!

It wouldn’t be so bad if Staf’s proposed way around his philosophical shortcomings weren’t based within those very shortcomings. His failure to understand that relativity eliminates the need for a philosophical "gridiron" has caused him to invest a great deal of time and work in finding the "gridiron" Einstein et al have omitted.

It's a shame, really.

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins