Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Re: Sidenote

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard D. Stafford, Ph.D. on August 14, 2002 17:25:21 UTC

Hi Aurino:

Since you wanted to keep these issues separate, I make my response separate. With regard to reaching people, I was speaking in the particular, not in the general. I think the ideas in my paper can be communicated; just not to anyone I am apt to meet in my lifetime. The problems had by the "Electric Universe" people point out that 30 years is a trivial time when it comes to acceptance of ideas; that almost guarantees my ideas won't be taken seriously in my lifetime.

Paul is almost as old as I am and we both too old to go attacking windmills. Chapter two is not beyond Paul's abilities; the real problem is that it would require too much of his very valuable time. You are considerably younger but you lack the confidence in mathematical deduction to really get deep into this (I think you have the ability; but I do not expect you to take the trouble to follow it in detail).

I think what Paul and I think is that if the ideas in your paper cannot be communicated then nobody, not even yourself, should bother. Whether "these people" can be reached, that's really up to them, all I know is that your ideas seem extremely solid but your presentation makes too many demands on the reader, and that is a problem that can be solved.

Aurino: I take your premises seriously, exactly because they require me to think, and thinking is one of things I enjoy doing the most.

Yes, but you are a rare individual. Actually I believe that characteristic is one of the problems which drove you away from formal education in the sciences. There are very few (if any at the moment) well educated people who have any desire to think. If you had a graduate level understanding of mathematics and physics, you would find very few demands in my paper (outside the fact that it does require some thought). Yes, there are lots of people who like to think but most all of them lack the skills to take advantage of that love.

Have fun -- Dick

PS - Your one sentence discription to Luis is right on the money.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins