Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
To A Point

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Chris Duncan on August 11, 2002 20:20:29 UTC

Yes,kinda. In our government, the President has a lot of power. But our government is also built ona a system of checks and balances. He can't make too big of a change(if any),without his idea(or amendment,to be politically correct) has to be ratified in the house of congress and also be voted on by the supreme court(if I remember my government classes correctly) before it is made into law.

So, in a sense, he is more of a governmental figurehead. Even if he thinks his idea is right, he also has to watch out for his own career. If his ideas are deemed to radical for congress, he can be impeached.

It's not that they(the rest of the government) is telling him what to do, they are telling him what not to do. So there is really nothing he can politically without speaking with his cabinet first. He has the power to veto,yes,but even then the house of congress can overpower that with a two-thirds majority vote.

The system of checks and balances works to make sure that he doesn't attain too much power,but it also works to protect itself.

When the attacks first happened, President Bush had the motto,"You're either with us or against us". He also said two more important things: "Saddam is a terrorist",and "Any government that harbors terrorists is a terrorist government".

Now, if we buy oil from Iraq, then we are financing a terrorist government. Doesn't that make our own government a hypocrit? Well, be sure that a string was pulled folks. You don't hear President Bush saying that anymore. He is much more vague about it now. They didn't tell what to say,but that is evidence that they did tell him what not to say. I have even heard on the news that we might not attack Iraq unless provoked.

It seems to me that the government's highest priority is to protect itself. Hey, these are just some of my thought.

Warm Regards,

Chris

P.S. Is this post long enough? :)

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins