Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
And Then They Write By Morning Night And Afternoon & Pretty Soon

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Box Holder on August 11, 2002 16:46:01 UTC

Hi Souza
Will try to explain what I meant by this question.
If you don't wanna tell me your answer, fine.
I'm probably posting my last post here for several days, although I'll miss y'all.
Question:
According to your careful prognosis, at what level of dexterity with algebra does a person become able to understand the mysteries of physics that a mathematical physicist comprehends?

Souza wrote:
"Dick is absolutely right in that sense, is that you must be able to understand the mathematical basis of a physics argument. Einstein does sound strange from a layman's perspective, but when you get down to the math you see there is no other way. If there were, someone would have found it!"

Response
The advanced math lets a person into a "room" from which there is another incoming door... simpler proportionality.
It's not hard to understand the mathematical relation of distance between two objects, their masses and the pull of gravity, once the equation has been discovered by an advanced mathematician.

But if a mathematician or physicist arrives at an equation that works, are you saying that mathematicians (who can reproduce the lengthy calculation which got them there after "factoring out") are the only "regular folks" who will be able understand the shape and causation of the universe's phenomena? If so, we ought to add that to the qualifications for some more jobs.

Mierjw[iqa[rewihgqe[rigjqe [0igjeqw[g8ihqeg[8iehg[

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins