Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Could Be

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino C Souza on August 9, 2002 14:03:58 UTC

Luis,

I'm not arguing that the notion of infinity is perfectly logical, all I'm saying is that infinity is a very simple concept which any child can understand. For instance, I can ask a ten year-old to think of a road that has no end - you walk, walk, walk, and you never reach the end; it doesn't matter how far you walk, no end can possibly be reached. I don't think the child will have any trouble comprehending the concept.

It's only when one treates infinity as a quantity that one starts running into problems and paradoxes. That's why physicists hate infinities, and they're right in doing so since physics is about quantities. Any infinity in physics means they lost the grip on the problem.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins