Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Why Should You Be Sorry If I'm Wrong?

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on August 8, 2002 18:53:23 UTC

Aurino quoted me saying,
"Math is perfect if applied correctly to a problem "
Aurino then said.
"Math isn't always perfect. See Godel."
If to be "perfect," math has to be "perfect even if mis-applied," then perfect is meaningless, since there are endless ways to mis-apply math.
And I will try to go visit a Godel website, since you have invited me.

Aurino quoted me saying,
" The Incompleteness Theorem is something I've felt was unnecessary. "
Aurino's entire reply to that was,
"I used to think the same, until yesterday."

You did? So...that's neat! What changed?
You didn't really explain it.

Aurino quoted me saying,
" When I heard about it, I was a mailman, not a space scientist. "

Aurino then replied in entirety to that,
"Maybe that explains the above? Godel was not a mailman, but then he wasn't a space scientist either."

Hmm-m-m Everything okay with you today? I hope things go well with you.

Aurino quoted me as saying,
" Does it have any uses, or is it just a useless curiosity? "

Aurino then replied,
"It does have uses. When I came across what I thought was a silly logical mistakes on Dick's part I was puzzled, because Dick is not a man who makes silly logical mistakes. When I realized that theproblem in Dick's paper was similar to the situation I was joking about in the forum, it dawned on me that there are in fact some situations when logic supports two contradictory results."

When logic supports two contradictory results,
more examination usually reveals why! Either some data are wrong, or the calculation is wrong, or there is a gate that swings, maybe? The example with Luis and I did not ring a bell at all! You simply had not looked at all the data...far from it! Neither have I, but I was privileged to be one of the subjects, so I had enough data to know I had not posted any of Luis' posts.

Aurino wrote:
"I never cease to be amazed at how brilliant those historical figures were, as well as how frustratingly difficult it can be to understand them sometimes."

Okay, that's neat.
Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2021 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins