Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What's TTFN? And Who Is "Jeez?"

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Whittier on August 7, 2002 13:23:01 UTC

Hi
You wrote:
"& you're right about bad books being written, there's one that they keep trying to shove in our faces that was written by a few guys who's brains were frying in that hot desert sun after consuming some whacky plant, making them hallucinate & try to pass off their ravings as "facts" i'd rather read Stephen King, thanx much.

Are you talking about books by Carlos Castaneda
such as "A Separate Reality?" These are about Don Juan, a Yaqui Indian (Early American) who tells, very engagingly, of other ways of experiencing life. Or what book are you talking about?

You wrote:
"...who did the dirty, came from or that they liked to wave their bible at someone just before sparking a match (more like a torch)!"

We probably have some agreement so I hope you'll forgive me for focusing on a few points where we differ at the moment. It may seem I have been abrupt with you, but I trust you will emerge none the worse for wear.
The guy who shot John Lennon was ostentatiously reading Catcher in the Rye but that doesn't make JD Salinger a co-conspirator. And, most of the Inquisitions were performed by folks who Forbade the reading of the Bible by non-clergy, such as Thee and I...
The Bible itself is remarkable for existing at all, and I do not think anyone should read it carelessly or superstitiously and more than other books. Yet it does give usthe benefit of early and deep thoughts, in pretty good context, about the Creative Principle which survives being bullied and misled by all the world's self-serving systems which are created and maintained for the benefit of the folks in fortunate positions...
It is tragic that the libraries at Alexandria and elsewhere were destroyed, for there were some other, non-Bible scrolls we now might never see, and accounts point to some early African Christians. The Bible does not license any bad behavior, and for those who read it critically, it actually illuminates many of the corruptions.

You wrote:
"...are you suggesting there were some other fanatics that landed over here that we don't know about?"

That one eludes me. Please help me with a little more elaboration on the question?

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins