Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Explanation:

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Kenny Thornton on July 26, 2002 20:30:12 UTC

OK, you have approximate estimate of the size of or galaxy, well, figuratively speaking, compared to the universe, which we assume is very, very large, our galaxy is pretty small. If you don't think the universe is large, humor me for a minute... Anyways, You say that to measure a very large supernova, one would need a very distant SN. If our calculations get more and more fuzzy over longer distances, how can you possibly give sure estimates on a very distant SN? It's true, astronomy is a science of experiments, but it's also a science of observations, and using excuses about experiments when it's nearly impossible to experiment with something so distant as these SN's that your talking about. Back to what I was saying before...
If I took a ruler and measured a penny, I could give a perfectly clear measurement, because I am sitting next to the penny, but when you start measuring something as vast as our galaxy, you encounter the problem of not being able to give precise measurements, then the best you can hope to do is estimate. With estimating calculations, your answer can be very far from accurate, not saying that the estimates about the Milky Way are wrong, just that they aren't proven, and there is room for error. Well, take something VERY distant, like these SN's that you're mentioning, and as they get more and more distant, the space for measuremental error grows, drastically. These distant calcuations have absolutely no way of being proven, so this is not proof.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins