Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
The Numbers Do Not Point To Nichiren

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Richard Ruquist on July 25, 2002 13:33:57 UTC

***Shakyamuni Buddha said that his teachings would retain the power to benefit people during the limited period of 2,000 years after his passing.

Nichiren Daishonin (1222-1282)***

So Nichiren is too early to be the next Buddha.

It also seems that we have not had valid teachings for thew last 500 years or so. I know of no one who qualifies to be a Buddha who lived 500 years ago.

More from your post

***His self-enlightenment to the nature of the Mystic Law of Life is one reason why he is
known as the "True Buddha" or "Original Buddha", whose mission is to appear at the
beginning of the Latter Day of the Law in order to reveal this ultimate truth to the people.
In other words, this means that Nichiren Daishonin is the Buddha for our present age, for
whom Shakyamuni paved the WAY. ***

I have many problems with this so-called Buddha. 1.First, why chant in Japanese? Shakyamuni required chanting in Sanskrit, and he teaching were still in effect when Nichiren appeared.
2.Then why is Nichiren essentially unknown. A real Buddha would be known by his multitude of followers, just as Buddhism is known by its adherents.
3.Again there is no record of his transformation into Buddhahood as specified in the Lotus Sutra.
I have no problem with the teachings of Nichiren. 4.But they do not include a claim for buddhahood as far as I can tell. You seem to be the one claiming Buddhahood for him.

But the most interesting aspect of your post to me is that you have convinced me that we are still waiting for the next Buddha. This conflict-full age would be a good time for him, or her, to appear.

Regards,

Richard

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins