Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Lottery

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Luis Hamburgh on July 22, 2002 22:37:54 UTC

Hello Paul,

Like everyone else, in the assessment of people and 'stuff' I have to go by what I know, and by what I observe. That said, I've done a whole lot more than quickly skim over Dick's work, as you seem to suggest.

I have a strong grasp of relativity. I have a strong grasp of the implications of quantum physics. I understand the propositions of 'superstrings.' I recognize and appreciate the disparity between general relativity and QM (Stafford's bane, I think). Math or no, I'm pretty good at seizing the gist of these things. In fact, for these reasons I was enormously interested in Dick's thesis, and still have a copy on hand (from 2000).

Now, while I'm not able to fairly judge Stafford's numbers, I'm quite able to understand the implications of his ideas. As an added bonus, I'm rather adept at picking out the devices that drive "ego."

And so --
1) his attitude
2) his short fuse
3) his apparent inability to rectify relativity with his reductionist visualization of particles & waves,
4) the fact that ALL other physics PhDs on these websites reject him,
5) the incongruous traits (e.g., self-importance and genius almost never together)
etc,
-- lead me to believe that a bet on Stafford's work is like a bet on the 8-state lottery (or whatever the really big one is).

>>>"boy, you are fast!"

I think we've all experienced the double-posting phenomenon on this website. You know... you accidentally post the same thing twice? Well, my post http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/19999.shtml was a duplicate of my post http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/19998.shtml , and somehow I managed to spastically accomplish this double entry in the space of one second. Hence, with my post http://www.astronomy.net/forums/god/messages/20000.shtml , I was throwing out a little bit of self-deprecation. But I really like how you turned this self-effacing into an insult ("there are times when you are just half fast.")

>>>"There are three distinct qualifications in which I have the advantage over you."

I don't agree that all your stated qualifications make for any real advantage. While I certainly do recognize the value of your mathematical knowledge, I think (1) that you know Stafford personally, and (2) that you are the person who brought Stafford to this (and other) forums do a heck of a lot more damage than good to any stake you wish to claim on fairness.

>>>"you are completely wrong about him as a person."

This may be the case. I may buy my first lottery ticket, yet!@

-LH

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins