Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Wise Men Still Seek Him

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by S.H. Le on December 9, 1999 21:48:59 UTC

Hey Earl. Again, "pastomatic" was a harsh judgement on my part. Sorry. I just get a little agitated sometimes, you understand.

It's interesting that you would mention that Jesus insists that the "broad way" leads to destruction, since there really aren't that many atheists around compared to theists. This forum demontrates that. Also, Christians constitute the highest percentage of theists in the world.

"Who are we to ask God Almighty why He did things the way He did?"-Earl

Here you're suggesting that we (being lower and less intelligent beings than God), can't judge God because we are so less informed. Thus, "who are we" to do such a thing, right? However, in that case, you'd be equally unjust in saying that God is good. Why? Because saying that God is good is also a judgement, albeit a positive one. If we're so ignorant in comparison to God, then how can we be justified in making any kind of judgement?

"I wish I could persuade you, but that is up to God"-Earl

You're right. It is up to God. Why can't he do it. Does he not wish to? Or is he incapable? If I was deceived by satan, and God can't seem to win me back, it would seem that Satan is more powerful than God (at least in this respect) doesn't it? Why does God (an all powerful being) have such difficulty battling evil?

Also just because the bible has some facts (some historical figures described in the bible did exist) it does not follow that everything in the bible is true. The compulsive liar may tell the truth sometimes, but can't be relied upon to tell the truth all the time.

"Soon Christ will return and sort out the wheat from the tares, the evil from the good, and the evil will be done away with in the lake of fire, and only the good will be left, only Christ can do that, we can't do it" Earl

This "soon" is sure taking a long time. Christains have been asserting this for about a thousand years. Is it ever going to come. Furthermore, the idea that we must sit and wait (pray) for Jesus' arrival is a dangerous notion. Should we remain innactive, not trying to better the world ourselves? Would God really want us to sit around and wait for things to change, or would he prefer that we be active and rectify the ills ourselves?

"I don't claim to be better than anyone, in fact I kinda always had respect for everyone, no matter what the belief, I figure God sends me to whoever He'll send me and give me the words to say, tho I quote scripture a lot, I'm speaking from my heart and soul."

And that is a quality that I admire Earl (speaking from the heart that is). Apathy is the enemy. I can see that you're very passionate about your beliefs, just as I am. My decision has come from much soul searching, and questioning, and indeed has been an agonizing trial. But ultimately, I'm happy about my atheism. However, I have atheist friends that aren't happy. Also, ex-christains, they long to be christains again, but in light of the evidence they see, they can't change. I think it's horrible that after all this effort and pain of questioning God on my part (I don't consider my questioning nature my own fault), that Christains would assert that I would be sent to hell for it. The existence of God is comforting and inviting, and sometimes I wish one really did exist (sometimes a want to believe), but then I see the vast evidence against such a being, and I'm quite certain no such being exists. Christ's central premise was love, and I've incorporated that into my secular beliefs, surely any God that you describe would appreciate that much.

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
    Additional Information
    Google

Web www.astronomy.net
    DayNightLine
    About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
    Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
    Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
    "dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
    are trademarks of John Huggins