Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
What????

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Aurino Souza on July 16, 2002 13:33:17 UTC

Dick,

Even though your clarity of thought often impresses me, I must confess sometimes I can't make any sense of what you write. What do you mean 'no cause and effect'? I do agree that cause-and-effect can't possibly explain reality as a whole, but at the same time I see causality as part of reality itself. That is, causality is a concept which is meaningful only when applied to objects within the universe. But just because the universe is not an object it doesn't mean that all concepts we apply to objects are meaningless or, at best, unreal. The universe provides the context in which our experiences become real; the universe itself is definitely not real but that doesn't bother me in the least.

" Paul has been trying to find the end of a piece of string where he can start his reasoning "

I gather that what Paul is trying to do is reconcile my last statement above. Why is it that reality is ultimately unreal? Why is it that we can know so much about reality, and yet the only thing we can be absolutely sure about is that 'I' exist, 'I' being defined as something outside reality. I think I have solved that problem myself but I doubt I can communicate my solution. And I think you have also solved the problem, in a different way, and I also doubt your solution is communicable.

As I said before, it gets pretty lonely in here sometimes.

Have fun,

Aurino

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins