Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
Very Sad That Despite Your Beauty And Good Intentions...

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Michael W. Pearson on July 14, 2002 04:01:06 UTC

In the battle between Communist China and Tibet
I am very sympathetic to Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism, and would rather have the Chinese just leave. And I like the original Buddha. Reflect deeply. Discuss life. Have temperance and respect.
But most Buddhist teachings go somewhere else.
Every statement in this composition has genuine
shortcomings from the standpoint of leadership and
education.

I will strongly criticize your statement because I think you will not realize the depth of the problem unless I state it strongly.

Typical of the problems are summarized after two citations:
" Buddhism holds that nothing exists in isolation, independent of other life."

This type of statement occurs frequently in the
essay you posted. It says something very obvious to all thoughtful and educated persons, but for some reason, attributes credit for the thought to Buddhism. If you were not lying, you would have attributed this to all schools of thought which have recognized it.
Buddhism does not offer anything unique in most of its statements and in only a few cases did scientists of Buddhist beliefs actually originate the scientific ideas cited.

You also wrote:
"When people’s inner lives are misguided or unbalanced, the environment—human society, the ecosystem, oceans, atmosphere and geography—is negatively influenced."

Besides having the same problems as the previous statement, this statement introduces Buddhism's claim to all these as its "turf" -- including someone's "inner life."
But instead of just saying what they truly need
(and I know you want them to chant the Lotus
Sutra in Japanese etc.)
you are going to gradually try to suck them into your religious order.

Mike

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins