Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
It Does Get Interesting, Doesn't It

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 12, 2002 03:33:30 UTC

Hi Mario,

Yes, that's what I was getting at. But, as I wrote to Mike, if proof is the only way to know something, then how did the guy with the proof come to know it in the first place?

I agree with you that there are very few things that I claim to know for sure. I once claimed to know that I exist, just as you claimed. But then Harv challenged me by asking me what is this thing called "I" that I claimed exists? He got me thinking, and I came out of the box with the opinion that the only thing I really know for sure is that thought happens.

Who exactly is doing the thinking is not exactly clear. As I have told you before, I suspect that each of us may be a remotely controlled vehicle, and the entity that is perceiving the experiences of our individual bodies may be far removed and vastly different from the bodies. Whether or not it is true, it is still a possibility that we can't easily dismiss, and so it introduces some doubt. In the face of this doubt, we can't claim to really know what we mean by "I" or "me".

Just thought I'd toss that out as food for thought. Thanks for your reply.

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins