Back to Home

God & Science Forum Message

Forums: Atm · Astrophotography · Blackholes · Blackholes2 · CCD · Celestron · Domes · Education
Eyepieces · Meade · Misc. · God and Science · SETI · Software · UFO · XEphem
RSS Button

Home | Discussion Forums | God and Science | Post
Login

Be the first pioneers to continue the Astronomy Discussions at our new Astronomy meeting place...
The Space and Astronomy Agora
You Answered A Different Question

Forum List | Follow Ups | Post Message | Back to Thread Topics | In Response To
Posted by Paul R. Martin on July 12, 2002 03:22:23 UTC

Hi Mike,

I asked your opinion on whether you think we can know something without being able to prove it. Your response seems to answer a different question -- something like, How can you convince others that you know something? Your answer was roughly that you can convince others by providing a proof.

I am trying to get at something more basic. I want to know what it even means to know something. And then, knowing that, I would like to know how we acquire knowledge.

Assuming that someone knows something, and that they can prove it, then I suppose you could come to know that particular something by studying their proof. But, is there any other way to come to know something? If not, how did that guy with the proof come to know what he claims to know?

Warm regards,

Paul

Follow Ups:

Login to Post
Additional Information
Google

Web www.astronomy.net
DayNightLine
About Astronomy Net | Advertise on Astronomy Net | Contact & Comments | Privacy Policy
Unless otherwise specified, web site content Copyright 1994-2024 John Huggins All Rights Reserved
Forum posts are Copyright their authors as specified in the heading above the post.
"dbHTML," "AstroGuide," "ASTRONOMY.NET" & "VA.NET"
are trademarks of John Huggins